“A day without a friend is like a pot without a single drop of honey.” ~ Winnie-the-Pooh
Winnie-the-Pooh is definitely the most famous bear to wax lyrical about honey, so we thought it only right to start this blog about honey with this lovely quote.
History tells us that honey has always played a part in our lives. Ancient Egyptians used it to sweeten cakes and (less appetizingly) to embalm. The therapeutic use of honey is documented in traditional Hindu Ayurvedic medicine texts from 4000 years ago and the Mayans kept stingless bees, which they believed to be sacred, as pets and used their honey for cooking.
Honey still continues to capture our imagination; sweetening our food, treating our ailments and adding a touch of golden luxury to our lives. Here’s our modern day Top 10 honey-themed ideas to inspire you:
1) Add honey & lemon to a tall glass of chilled water and ice for a refreshing summer drink
2) Use honey to preserve fruit in jars – Raspberries, blackberries, apricots or oranges will all work. Just add 1 part honey to 10 parts water.
3) Keep hands soft with regular use of our Honey Blossom Hand & Nail Cream
4) Treat hayfever sneezes. Eating honey, especially if you can find honey produced locally to you, is supposed to reduce pollen allergies.
7) Cook with honey. Add honey and ginger to roasted carrots or try one of these recipes
8) Read bestseller ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kidd or watch the film
10) Get a taste for Beekeeping. Sign up with The London Honey Company for their Beekeeping Taster course in October
Thanks for reading!
“Life is the flower, for which love is the honey.”
~ Victor Hugo ~